Saturday, January 8, 2011

Wilhelmina Bay

On Friday afternoon, there was no landing scheduled, just a “ship tour” around the bay. This bay was prime whaling territory and there were plenty of humpbacks around.

As we left the bay, our attention was directed to a hundred year old wreck near the bay entrance. No-one was using the telescope in the observation lounge so I took a peek at the wreck. To my shock, there were two people standing on a huge snowbank on the shoreline near the wreck. They were easily visible (at least in the telescope) due to their bright clothing. How strange it seemed to see people on their own outside any tourist zone. We had seen a sailboat motoring along earlier, so I assume it was those intrepid cruisers I was seeing in the telescope.

As a sailor myself, I like to read about people who have thrown off the shackles of civilization and sailed off “over the horizon.” I have even met some folks who have done it. But the destination for most is the Caribbean or South Pacific. The cruisers around Antarctica are the hard core cruisers, folks who don't mind enduring some hardships (such as the Drake Passage) to live the adventure. We have seen a few sailboats around since arriving here. I admire these people very much, but following them is not on my “bucket list.” Pass the margaritas, please :-) Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment