Saturday, January 8, 2011

Petermann Island – Ready, Willing, but not Able

(Thursday Morning)

It doubt that the weather gets much better than this in Antarctica. Our first landing was on Petermann Island. Lengthy walking to get to more penguins, so we climbed the first ridge and just enjoyed looking out at one of the many “iceberg alleys.” We were a little preoccupied anyway as we had worn our bathing suits, ready for our initiation into the Antarctic Swim Club ... Anya, the expedition director said the current was too strong ... as we say on our boat, “Safety first.”

Yes, I said “we.” Melanie shocked me when we got up this morning. She had borrowed a bathing suit, and was ready to swim with me. She has always had one up on me in that she has gone bungee jumping (in New Zealand), and I haven't ... And having visited the bridge that she jumped off, I can safely say I wouldn't have done it ... oh wait, I mean I would surely have done it if I had had the opportunity.

So dressed in extra layers (for a supply of dry clothes to sear after our dip), we trekked up a hillside in the 41 degree “heat.” I wasn't able to stand it for long, and at the top of the hill, started peeling layers off. Since layer I wanted to keep on was not the bottom one, I can now at least say I've been topless in Antarctica :-) Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment