Thursday, January 6, 2011

Port Lockroy - Almost Civilization

(Wednesday Afternoon)

By Antarctic standards, Port Lockroy is a thriving metropolis, boasting a museum with a gift shop that accepts credit cards... Melanie perked up when she heard this, making sure I brought my wallet... You can even mail postcards from Port Lockroy if you don't mind them taking six weeks or more to get home. It was nice, though strange, to be in a building here.

Port Lockroy is a former British station, but now there are just four workers (currently all women) who spend four months running the museum and gift shop for the benefit of the Antarctic Heritage Trust.

Although I remembered the credit cards, I forgot both my camera and iPhone here... I'm sure others snapped pictures of the buildings, but there was one point where I really wished I had the iPhone. Several gentoos began playing king of the mountain on a bergy bit floating near the nesting area, repeatedly jumping onto the berg's little “swim platform,” hanging on as others jumped up, and then diving back in, only to repeat the process over and over. It would have made a great iPhone movie.

Tonight at dinner, we saw the girls from the station on board. We are staying here until 4 AM, so they were invited aboard for dinner, and seemed ecstatic about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment