Friday, December 31, 2010

¡Feliz Año Nuevo 2011

We just got back from our strangest New Years party ever. It was held right here at the Hotel Panamericano, in one of their ballrooms. Although the food was great, by about 11:40 PM I was thinking that this was the dullest New Years party ever. There was a DJ playing assorted Spanish music, and I was actually appreciative that they weren't blasting it, as Melanie and I were sitting right in front of the speakers. We were able to carry on conversations at our table, which was great, but it sure didn't feel like a New Years party.

I hadn't noticed the band arriving. The only thing I noticed was that the speaker volume went up a few notches with a distinctive driving bass beat. The crowd began to murmur a little and I turned around to see a few guests rhythmically swaying as they stood by their tables. Within probably thirty seconds, the dance floor was full, restaurant wait staff was handing out shakers, noisemakers, all kinds of lighted hats, tiaras, you name it, and it was "game on."

We had heard that the Argentinian crowd was a very late crowd, and now I believe it. Word is that this particular party will go until 5:00 or 6:00 AM... I wouldn't have believed it at 11:40 but I do now... Anyway, we'll be able to check because our transfer leaves for the airport and the next leg of our trip at 3:45 AM... you heard me, 3:45 AM!

Anyway, happy new year to all! It just occurred to me that I have misnamed this blog, since it's 2011 and we have yet to set foot in Antarctica. Perhaps I'll tweak the title a bit... but I won't touch the address... don't want to confuse my faithful readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment